PARISH OF SAINT JURAJ IN ZAJEČAR
Bor parish pastors almost always managed the parish of Zaječar too, which is separated from Nis, founded in 1934, but the church built in 1929. Subsequently the sanctuary, the sacristy and the hall were added (but afterwards also destroyed). Before World War II there were permanent Catholic chaplains (Rikard Zajc, Ivan Maračić) and they took care of the worship and parish.
The pastors from Bor took over the care of the believers when they left.
The patron of the parish of Zaječar is St. Juraj the martyr, celebrated on April 23.
The parish experienced its peak just before the war of the present day. There were many Catholics from Letnice in Zaječar, all of them men, singles, and often a hundred of them filled the church.
In addition to the Assumptionists, the parish has been run by the Salesians, Diocesan priests, and now members of the Neocatechumenal Way.
Part of the parish apartment has long been occupied by foreign persons to the detriment of the parish and the priest.
School Sisters of St. Francis of Slovenia, based in Maribor, came to Serbia in 1932 and rapidly expanded their operations outside Belgrade too. Thus, in Paraćin they had a nursery and kindergarten (1937-1945), and for a while even a boarding school for girls in high school in Zaječar.
In 1941 they arrived in hospital in the Senj mine, and later moved to Bor, where they worked in several hospital departments: in surgery, infectious, children’s, in the lab. Unfortunately, when the last sister retired, due to the small number of new members, the sisters withdrew to Niš, and returned to Slovenia.
20 Kumanovska Street, Zaječar 19 000
Rev. Leonid Bevza, pastor
Tel.: 036 / 322-788
Service of God
Weekdays: Mon. and Tue. – 7pm; Fri. 3pm
Sundays and holidays: 6pm